Friday, November 5, 2010

Nicole Kidman--UNIFEM

Nicole Kidman inspires me.

While waiting at Westchester Medical Center yesterday, to see an Orthopedist, for my 11 yr old daughter who broke her finger a few weeks ago, I picked up a copy of the Dec. 09/Jan. 10 copy of the Ladies Home Journal. Following are excerpts from the article entitled "A New Nicole Kidman" p. 112-116.

Between 2001 and 2008, Kidman made 17 movies, one of which, The Hours won her a best-actress Oscar. But it seems Kidman's days of zooming from one film set to he next are over. "I was running from my life, in a way" she says. "My imaginary life was better than my flesh-and-blood-life. That's a sad thing to say, but it was. Now I love my real life so much it requires an enormous belief in a film to want to take it on...I think that we're in the world to connect. Because that is what you're left with. You're not left with your houses or awards for money, you're left with the people that you built relationships with.

After recently filming the the movie, Nine, in Italy, Kidman left in November 09 to travel to Kenya for a few days on behalf of UNIFEM, a United Nations organization dedicated to ending discrimination and violence against women and with which she's had a long association. She wants to help start a hotline for abused women. "It's so they'll have a place to call. A lot of women are so terrified; they'll go to the police or court and don't win. We can set up shelters and raise money", says Kidman. "I'm constantly trying to find new ways to give back", she adds. "Women are nuturers. There's so much we can do with the power of our feelings, the power of our sensitivity."

"Kidman brings that same energy to her marriage, which was tested early on when Urban entered rehab for alcohol addiction shortly after their wedding. "Keith and I have a very honest, profound marriage, which we both contribute to every day," she ways. "We have a phrase, "Does this contributre to the good of our union?" Because that what's most important."

Who inspires you? Would love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment